By Dave Huth
Welcome to my ongoing experiment in micro media. Video blogging is a weird and unpredictable exercise. I'm translating ideas, moments, and bits of my life into 90-second chunks of video. Feel free to let me know what you think, and thanks for visiting!

EXPRESS YOURSELF
Got an opinion about this vlog? You can
WRITE A REVIEW
at the iTunes music store.

SUBSCRIBE:

My RSS feed:

Subscribe via iTunes:
itunes 1click subscribe

Many (though not all) of my videos require the latest Quicktime 7, which is available free from Apple's Web site...
Download Quicktime 7 for Mac
Download Quicktime 7 for Windows

F A Q

E-mail Me: davedraws[at]yahoo[dot]com

Lorem Ipsum
Everyone needs to make an independent film, right? Check mine out here.People I Know
A series of candid interviews with friends and neighbors.

Vlognik: My Weblog of new media commentary and discussion

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Religion


Video thumbnail. Click to play

Yeah, I'm serious.
Music via: podsafeaudio.com, Devin Anderson

Comments on "Religion"

 

Blogger Jeff said ... (2/10/2008 6:09 PM) : 

Nor religion?

 

Blogger David said ... (2/11/2008 3:19 PM) : 

no not anything. at least, if I were God, that's how it would be.

MAKE!! MAKE!! MAKE!!! love you dave.

 

Blogger Richard said ... (2/12/2008 10:32 AM) : 

Nor Richard ....

You have done a lot of amazing work, but this is the best.

No kidding ... this is amazing.

 

Blogger schlomo rabinowitz said ... (2/12/2008 1:44 PM) : 

Transcendent. Absolutely beautiful.

 

Blogger Karis said ... (2/13/2008 11:51 PM) : 

you always amaze me, Dave. this is basically fantastic. i hope you don't mind me sharing it with my world. :)

by the way, baby huth is looking a lot like mommy huth. :)

 

Blogger cjereneta said ... (2/14/2008 7:07 AM) : 

Thanks for this, Dave.

Whenever I think about responding in video my brain gets twisted up in knots, so I'll stick to my comfort zone of words.

And almost by definition I have to engage with the question as it connects to my own life (and my own lack of religion), so your mileage and experience will of course vary.

There is a wondrous state of privilege many Americans inhabit (myself included) -- to be blessed with lives free from starvation, disease, and violent personal or political repression. And even more so if we can reap the benefits of having been raised within a loving family.

So to me the audacity of the question is difficult to separate from the moment and place in history that I inhabit.

Because still for most humans living there are persistent, often daily hardships that strip away one's emotional capacity to recognize or witness joy, beauty, or love.

The function of religion, to return to the question, can be to provide intellectual, narrative, and ritual constructs that offer access to the divine despite all the forces to the contrary.

The act of gathering in worship, the telling of stories, the acts of prayer and sacrament--all have the power to draw us out of our individual concerns. One can recognize this fundamental human truth across languages and cultures and faiths--it connects us to each other.

Those aspects of religion that separate us fulfill a different function--to maintain the power and wealth of the religious leaders. The human stupidness you describe.

Thanks for continuing to provoke and inspire.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/29/2008 11:43 PM) : 

Watched this one twice... in part because I caught onto the intricacy of your time-lapse layers halfway through, and wanted to decipher them (or simply appreciate your artistry in revelation!). in part because the results are so stunning!

Thanks.

 

Anonymous theguildedpage said ... (4/04/2012 3:43 AM) : 

Very useful information, thanks so much for the post.

 

post a comment